[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #118

John writes:

> I investigated purchasing
>an extended warranty for a vehicle I'm looking at, an '88 M5 with 20,000
>miles. I can buy a 3 year/36,000 mile coverage policy from GE for about
>$2000. The nice thing about the GE policy is that it can be used at the
>repair shop of your choice. If you have had any experience with extended
>warranties, good or bad, please let me know and I will post my results
>posthaste.

I have an 88M5 with 52,000 miles.  When I purchased it in 1988 I got the
extended warranty.  While the extended warranty companies *ONLY* cover those
items listed on the contract, that is a not inconsiderable amount of stuff on
an M5.  My policy has paid for itself more than once, for items such as
transmission and differential seals.  In addition, the cost of engine parts
for any M-car are such that you have a substantial liability if anything goes
south on you.  In addition, things such as electric seats, etc are
ridiculously expensive to fix.  IMHO:  BUY THE WARRANTY!

Keith Wollenberg
88M5
72 Tii Touring