[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Noise from behind dash vents in E36

I have the same noise.  It is sort of a rhythmic thud, which you can really
hear when sitting at a stop light.  The dealer told me that it has something to
do with a valve or pump located on or near the fire wall for the hot coolant
that is pumped through the heater core for the automatic temperature control
heating/A/C system.  Indeed if the HVAC system is turned off the noise doesn't
occur.

He said that a lot of BMW's do it, some are noiser than others, I've always
just lived with the noise because I've become so annoyed with the poor service
I got from the service manager that I was tired of complaining. I'm taking the
car to a different dealer the next time I need something done perhaps I can ask
them to fix it. Has anyone else out there had this problem and what was the
dealer fix.

Also another noise that I have that comes from the HVAC system is a sort of
ping or spring opening sound that happens at about 35mph and 50mph I assume it
has something to do with opening or moving of a flap to compensation for air
flow at different road speeds...Is this the "flipping of poker chip" sound that
I think may have been talked about before in this group?

Afzal: BTW I checked out your Webformum site it is pretty cool, quite useful
the way it is arranged, although it seems sort of weird to Web to University of
Geneva to look at mail that came from a server in California.

On Dec 7,  1:19pm, WebMaster ISSCO wrote:
> Subject: Noise from behind dash vents in E36
> WebForum-Sender: (Afzal Ballim) <afzal@domain.elided>
> WebForum-Sender-URL: http://issco_www.unige.ch/
> WebForum-Reference: http://issco_www.unige.ch/WebForum/
> WebForum-In-Reply-To:
>
> I've noticed a noise (like a value opening and closing) just behind
> the central vents in the dash of my 94 318is. Each time I hear the
> noise, I also feel a slight pulsing in the breaks. The noise is normally
> apparent only when I am at a stop and idling. Has anyone else noticed such
> a thing? Is it common? Something to be worried about? My warranty runs out
> at the end of January, so if it's a potential problem I'd like to know
> before then so I can get my dealer to look at it.
>
> Any help, or hints, would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> 	Afzal
>
>-- End of excerpt from WebMaster ISSCO

- --