[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #121

% From: Ash Alyan <011782@domain.elided> Date: Wed, 7 Dec
% 1994 22:15:11 -0500 (EST) Subject: Uneven wear on rear
% tires.
%

% I am looking for a reason why the rear tires would wear out
% on the inside. Looks just like a bad alignment, BUT THEY
% ARE THE REAR TIRES?  I know I have bad front end alignment.

You *CAN* have an alignment problem on the rear of a BMW.

% its only very light and can only be fixed using new tie rods
% (rust can do magic!!). It a 535' 85 with everything stock
% except performance suspension (stifer). I guess I

You mentioned an aftermarket suspension.
Is the car any lower?  If so did you have the camber/caster
adjusted after lowering?

% should have looked at them to tell you folks what type :-|

% Tires a Michillen 225 'TRX' I think..
%

% Really appreciate any advice about what to check before I
% get new tires..

I had the same problem on a '78 530i  with the tires wearing on the
inside.

It turned out that a spring was sagging by about .5" and was
screwing up the way the rear tires met the road.

Have a 4 wheel alignment done and have *EVERYTHING* checked.

Kent--
/* "There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors and   */
/*  no slave that has not had a king among his." ----     Helen Keller */
/*  Kent L. Shephard  ----- K. L. Shephard Consulting                  */