[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #107

From: HermanC2@domain.elided
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 03:32:01 -0500
Subject: Re: E36 shifter problem

>>>Has anyone noticed any difficulty getting into 1st gear with an E36 5
speed?

It seems that if the car is completely stopped, the gear lever is gated and
it takes a pretty hefty effort to engage the gear.  If one moves the gear
selector back after hitting the "gate" then moves back towards 1st, it flows
pretty easily.  It is also "normal" and easy if you move the selector towards
2nd (not engaging it at all) then move to engage 1st.<<<

Jim,

This occurs in my E36 occasionally also.  Instead of shifting to 2nd, I just
let the clutch engage slightly in neutral and then it goes into 1st just
fine.

When I posed the same question to the list about a year ago, someone
suggested that the clutch wasn't disengaging fully and suggested that I bleed
the clutch.

I had a similar problem with a VW diesel rabbit 4 speed which has a cable
clutch linkage.

If,  when the shift lever wouldn't slide up into 1st, I immediatly droped it
into second and then right back up to try 1st again, it would then slide right
into 1st gear.    I added a few ounces of "Tufoil" ( a PTFE Slick 50 type
product) and the problem went away.  I'm not sure that I'd recommed that
today, but perhaps instead you might try Redline's MTF.  I now use that in my
E28 5 speed and it really helped with the problem I was having with 3rd gear.