[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More on k-Jet idle problem

First, thanks to everyone who offered advice on my idle problem.
 Unfortunately, i have not been able to solve it and it still persists.
 Below is a quick summary of the problem and what i've checked.  BTW, the car
is a 1982 323i euro.

... For example, i did some air leak trouble shooting on it this morning.
 After I was through, I reset the idle with the idle screw to the correct
rpm.  After revving it a few times, it resumes idleing at a fast speed (with
engine warmed up),  until i put a load on it (letting out the clutch with
foot on the brake), then it will return to around 850 rpm.  Then, as soon as
i gas it again, it will return to a 1500 rpm idle.  Ocassionally, if I sit at
a light it will slowly return to the correct idle speed.So far, I have
confirmed the following parts or symptoms:

*  Aux. air valve -- tested with Probst book "clamp" method - good.
*  Air sensor baffle plate adjustment and sensitivity -- It behaves just like
the book says upon testing and the adjustment is right.
*  Throttle plate stop adjustment -- ok
*  Mixture -- good
*  Air leaks (false air) -- I spent the morning spraying carbuerator cleaner
on connections and taping and clamping any hoses that I could find that
looked as though they could be leaking.
*  just about everything else ....

Now, finally, here is the interesting part.  I was out testing it this
morning, and the problem still existed.  So far, I've been unable to check
timing/advance related systems, so I decided to try something.  I unplugged
the vacuum advance hose to the distributor just to see if the idle dropped,
and it didn't.  I revved the engine a couple times to see if it would run
worse at high revs, but it didn't seem to.  So, i decided to drive it, and it
drives exactly the same!  This shouldn't be the case, should it?  I mean, it
ran *exactly* the same with the supposed vacuum leak and no vacuum advance at
all.  Am I wrong to think that something is wacky with the ignition?

Any and all input will be ver much appreciated!!!!

Paul King