[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:MM Stuff

Thi v. wrote:
>  [snip] Their forte' is clever marketing of good products at fair to
>  expensive prices.  [snip] They used to make hellacious
>  transmissions, with redone synchros and hardier bearings.  I think
>  Jim Blanton left to make his fortune else- where.
During my little adventure with the 5-spd w/ the bad 2nd gear synchro,
I rec'd a lot of info regarding MM & Jim Blanton.  If anyone is
interested in talking with Jim about their parting and what he thinks
of MM trans., or about having him do a rebuild, then e-mail me direct
& I'll give you his number.

IMO, I have driven a MM six in an E12 conversion (Jay Jones' Barnyard
Bimmer project) and I can attest to gobs of low end torque, but some
R&D still needed over 6K RPM.  Be careful, because they do good
advertising and talk a storm, which some "experts" disagree with.  I'd
be interested in hearing from some of the lists experts regading their
designs...

>  [snip] Jim Rowe'll talk your ear off on the phone [snip]
Boy is this the truth although I take what he says with a grain of
salt as I learn more about BMWs.

YMMV, & all disclaimers apply...
brian