[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electric Radiator Fans

Reading the overheating FAQ reminded me to ask this question.  On my
320i, I was considering removing the engine driven fan and installing an
electric fan.

 Yes I know most 320i's already have an electric helper fan, mine did toon
until the motor went bad.  The motor squealled like a pig and at ~$160 for
a new one I don't think I'll be replacing it with a BMW part.  Interesting
thing is that after I removed the squealing helper fan the car stopped
heating up when I am in traffic, the temp needle stays right around the
center.  I guess the helper fan may have done more harm than good.  Anyway
I figure adding a good aftermarket electric fan would give me a little
more horsepower at high RPMs (good for autocrossing and driver schools)
and take the thrust load off the water pump bearing (hopefully making it
last longer than 40K miles).  I was wondering if anyone has done this
conversion. Any comments?

p.s. I was going to use the existing fan wiring to operate the new fan.  I
can get fan themostat switches for 91C or 99C (I am going to replace the
old themostat anyway because the old one is 15 years old).  I was
wondering which turn on temp would be better if the electric fan is the
primary fan. I'm using the 80C thermostat.

Walt Barie (wgbst4+@domain.elided, barie+@domain.elided)
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh

'79 320i DSP Solo II Car (without helper fan:)
'80 528i

    "You gotta first spin the dice in order to win the game" - esp '95

Of course what I say in no way reflects the views of the University....