[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

On Wed, 23 Nov 1994 JPRINZ wrote:
Subject: E30 M3 questions

>Anybody try the "cam gear" modification?  Supposedly this gear changes he
>exhaust timing?  I'm curious as to whether or not you can feel the
>hp gains in the mid rpm range....

 I put the cam gear in my '90 M3 along with the Evolution II intake cam
and lightweight flywheel, and an Authority chip. Since all were put in
at the same time, I cannot distinguish the advantage of each piece. As
a complete package, the car has more low end torque, more HP, and better
throttle response. My thinking is that the cam gear increased the torque
the intake cam increased the HP, the flywheel improved the throttle
response and the chip raised the redline and bumped up the timing and
fuel maps. In general, it's a nice improvement for the street. The cam
gear delays the exhaust timing I'm told. I almost forgot, stiffer valve
springs were also added to go with the elevated redline.

>Also... anybody know where I can get brake ducts cheap?  Dinan wants lie
>$300.00.  They smoke pot too.  I burned up my brakes pretty good last
>year at drivers schools.  Also, can someone tell me why in the world BM
>sold that car without them?  For crying out loud they're on the 325is!

 Pegasus Racing has generic brake ducts that *might* fit with some order
of modification. Brake ducts probably will not be a "cure-all" though.
What do you mean by "burned up my brakes pretty good..." Are you wearing
out the pads, warping rotors, both? How long after replacing pads and
rotors are you destroying them ?? Another possible solution might be
wheel fans. As they turn, vanes on the backside of a plastic disc draw
air outward from the inside of the wheel thereby creating airflow past
the caliper and rotor, and hopefully cooling them in the process. The
disc is attached to the outside of the wheel. They may be cheaper than
cooling ducts. I've never used them, so I cannot say if/how well they
work.

Ron Checca

'90 M3 Street
'88 M3 Track
'87 325es Road

P.S. I am in no way associated with Pegasus Racing. Just passing on
     info on "the highway".