[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002 radio/speakers

> Oh, for God's sake PLEASE DON'T cut up your door panels!  I own a '75 2002
> with nice door panels (yea for me) and I've seen what a crappy state some
> 2002 door panels were in after speaker installation.  You can't fit a decent
> sized speaker anywhere (over about 5") which is OK since it's a midrange or
> tweeter anyway... but the door panels are so... fragile.

Well, my '74 tii has 6 1/2" speakers mounted in the doors, at the front
lower corner.  I didn't do it, one of the previous owners did.....
But, the speakers _do_ sound very nice mounted there.  Personally, I won't
cut door panels, they're too tough to replace later......  But if the
holes are already there, might as well use them.

> 	I'd suggest front speakers in the black underdash boards.  They're
> unobtrusive down there and although you lose some highs, it's not THAT big
> a loss.  That's why equalizers exist.

This is probably the easiest/least obtrusive place to put front speakers.
Sound quality isn't all that great, though.

Another place I've seen speakers installed is in the "kick panels" which,
on a 2002, is a carpeted piece of sheet metal.  I guess some cutting of
metal was involved....

I guess you could also mount some tweeters in the corners of the dashboard,
using some adhesive, so no drilling would be involved.

> 	Also, speakers under the rear seat (facing forward) sound very nice
> and provide surprising bass from relatively weak power.

The bass from this setup is very good, although you may lose some clarity.
With a good pair of speakers, this probably provides the best tradeoff of
sound quality and appearance/installation difficulty.

> 	6x9s fit in the rear shelf, 8" woofers can be mounted from below too
> if you're nuts, but there's no good place to mount the grilles for 8s. Perhaps
> some acoustically transparent fabric/carpet?

6x9's fit in the rear shelf, with some careful planning and cutting.  That's
what is in the rear of my car.  Again, I didn't install them.  Sounds pretty
good even with the original Blaupunkt powering the whole affair.

> 	Be sure if you mount an amp under the rear seat (security) that your
> rear window seal doesn't leak.  Tsk, tsk if it does.

If the rear window seal leaks, it can also leak water onto any rear shelf
mounted speakers.....  I always wondered why I lost sound from my rear
speakers for a day or two after a rain......

Hope this helps,
Ben