[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FAQ part 2/10

- - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 10.0: Mail-order and other parts stores

This list is highly subjective. It is not an endorsement of any type of any
dealer. The attempt is to list dealers who are a) established(??) b) deal
in special parts/models c) have special/unique incentives and d) offer CCA
discount. Please send me names of dealers whom you feel should be listed
here for the reasons mentioned above.

NAME+PLACE+NUMBER		| CCA DISCOUNT	| SPECIAL

==============================
California:CA

Bavarian Wrecking: Rancho Cor..	| Free delivery	| Salvaged/used/rebuilt parts
800-726-4269

Eurasian: Temecula		| ?		| catalog
800-824-8814

Peter Pan BMW: San Mateo	| Y (25%)	| 15% off on remanufactured parts
800-346-9077

World Upholstery: Camarillo	| ?		| interior parts
800-222-9577

North Hollywood Speedometer	| ?		| Speedometer cables, etc.
(818) 761-5136

==============================
Indiana:IN

Tire Rack: South Bend		| ?		| Tires, Wheels
800-428-8355

==============================
Florida:FL

Europroducts: Clearwater	| ?		|
800-850-0325

==============================
Massachusetts:MA

Foreign Motors: Natick		| 20%		|
800-338-3198

Greenfield Imported Car Parts	| ?		|
(413) 774-2819

==============================
Maryland:MD

Maximillian: Baltimore		| ?		| emphasis on CS and 2002 parts
410-744-2697

==============================
Missouri:MO

Imparts:St. Louis		| N		| Free shipping > $40
800-325-9043					| catalog

Metric Mechanic: Kansas City	| ?
816-231-0604

==============================
New Hampshire:NH

Bavarian Auto Service:Newmarket	| Y  		| catalog
800-535-2002					| Discount not on all items

==============================
Pennsylvania:PA

Bimmer Parts: Pottstown		| ?		| 2002/Bavaria/320i parts
800-274-2466

AutoGalerie: Sewickly		| ?		| Videos on BMWs and race cars
412-741-9472					| catalog

==============================
Texas:TX

BMP Design: Tyler		| ?		| Suspension
800-648-7278

==============================
Virginia:VA

E-Design: Reston		| ?		| T-shirts
703-391-1606

Freedom Design: Alexandria	| ?		| styling packages
800-296-1792					| catalog

- - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 11.0: Gasoline

Section 11.1:	BMW Gasoline Test - Consumer Reports (Summary)

(Editor's note: The following info is now some years old)

A:	(by Harvey Chao: harvey_chao@domain.elided)

Someone on Rec.Auto or something close asked about the following article
from Consumers's Report.  Since I took the effort to type it up, I may as
well forward it to all of you too.

I found this article while looking in the "Reader's Guide to Periodical
Literature" in my public library when I was researching articles published
in magazines about BMWs.  The source is Consumer Reports, Jan 1990 pages 8, 9,
and 10.  The following is a summary of their survey;

Withing groups listed alphabetically.  Gasolines checked (X) have passed the
"unlimited milage" standards of BMW's test* for preventing the build up of
deposits on valves, acording to the refiners responses to a Consumer Reports
questionaire (see story)  Those marked (-) have not passed BMW's test.

Brand      Regular		Midrange	 Premium

Amoco         X                 X                X

Arco          X                 1                X

Antlatic      _                 _                _

BP            2                 2                2

Chevron       X                 X                X

Citgo         3                 3                3
Diamond
Shamrock      -                 -                X

Exxon         X                 X                X

Fina          4                 4                4

Gulf          -                 -                -

Hess          4                 4                4

Marathon      X                 X                X

Mobile        X                 X                X

Phillips 66   4                 4                4

Shell         5                 5                X

Sunoco        -                 -                6

Texaco        X                 X                X

Unocal        X                 X                X

The following refiners did not respond to our questionnaire.  Lacking any
information about the presence or effectiveness of the detergent packages,
we cannot recommend their gasoline for latemodel cars with fuel-injected
engines.
Beacon, Clark, Getty, Kerr-Mcgee.

[1]  Midgrade gasoline is not available

[2]  According to company, som BP stations sell gasoline that meets BMW
"unlimited milage" requirements and some do not.

[3]  Company says new detergent package that will pass BMW "unlimited
milage" test is to be introduced in all three grades in first quarter of
1990, but not necessarily in all three grades.

[4]  Company says  new detergent package that will pass BMW "unlimited
milage" test is to be introduced in all three grades in first quarter of 1990.

[5]  According to the company, only the premium grade has passed the BMW
"unlimited milage" test, but the regular and midgrad fuels contain the
identical deturgent package.

[6]  According to the company, Sunoco Ultra, a super-premium grade, passed
BMW "unlimited milage" test; Sunoco Super has not been tested.  According
to the company, in other Sunoco blends, the lower the octane, the less the
protection.

*  The gist of the BMW test described in the article  is to take a new or
clean engine, dissassemble it and weigh the intake valves.  Reassemble the
engine, run it on a test track in a 10,000 mile simulation of typical
driving, tear the engine down and re-weigh the intake valves.  The
"unlimited milage" rating goes to gasolines which accumulate deposits
averageing less than 100 milligrams per valve or 50,000 miles in which the
average weight gain is more than 100 milligrams but less than 250 milligrams.

==============================
Section 11.2: 	What is oxygenated gas?..and why?

A:	by David Draper: ddraper@domain.elided: edited)

Let me preface my comments by saying that there is an excellent article on
Oxygenated gas in the February 21, 1994 issue of AutoWeek magazine.
It goes into a fair amount of detail on oxy gas and the history behind
it. It also tells the contents of oxy gas for several of the big oil
companies.

There are currently 39 regions required to use oxy gas. It is unclear
to me if the pump must specifically say the gas is oxy gas but it must
say if the gas has any type of alcohol mixture in it (oxy gas).

Look on the pump and see if the gas either of the following in it:
ethanol/ETBE , methanol/MTBE

If either is present chances are it is oxy gas.
The maximum percetage currently allowed is 10% but ther has been talk
of raising the limit to 20%.

The article in AutoWeek mentions all kinds of potential and actual problems
that can be attributed to oxy gas. Some of them are hard starting,
stalling, hesitation, incresed instances of vapor lock and corrosion of
older engine parts. They also mention that gas mileage is decreased.

<<<<< 	(by John Auer: jaa@domain.elided)

Thanks to Harry Sidhu and Edward Bernard for their replies.  The
concensus seems to be:
  	1.  Oxygenatated fuel is mandated by the EPA in states where
      	pollution is a problem.  Smog dissipates less quickly during
      	winter months, and the emission systems operate less effectively
     	as well, due to the increased warmup times.  Oxygenated fuels
      	produce less emissions, helping the problem.

  	2.  Some gasoline suppliers will deliver gas to "regions", not
      	"states" where the EPA has directed them to use such fuels,
      	to make shipping easier.

  	3.  Oxygenated fuels can cause rough idle and hesitation problems
      	because of their chemical nature; this, of course, isn't news
      	to those of you using them...

<<<<<	(by John De Armond: jgd@domain.elided: edited)

It is not marked on the pump but the slightly sweet, vaguely ether-like
odor of MTBE is distinctive once you've smelled it once.  If your
gas smells like something other than gasoline, it probably contains
MTBE.

MTBE-laced gas provides less mileage than unadulterated gasoline
for the same reason any other oxygenate such as methanol or nitromethane
does - it carries some oxygen within its structure and that oxygen
displaces a combustable atom in the molecule.  If no changes are
made to your engine, you will likely experience a lean-related
loss of power.  However, if you're willing to retune the engine,
you will recognize a bit more power just as you would by adding
a few percentage points of nitro.  Of course, you mileage will
get even worse.  In effect, EPA is using a byproduct effect of
hotrod fuel to (allegedly) achieve their goals.

Section 11.3:	What are the various ratings used for octane?