[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Head Gasket Change.

Hey Folks:

Lots of brown froth in my coolant -- I assume that's the knell for
a head gasket change. Looks like something fairly easy from what
Bentley's has to say. What are other things I could do while I have
the head off? Someone mentioned "truing" the head. What is this?

Also, would this be a good time to do the valve adjustment and any
special tools needed. Basically, I am treading into unknown territory
here by taking the head off and would appreciate any pointers on
pitfalls. Also, how long its expected to take -- I am garageless.

This is on an '86 528e. The car drives fine otherwise, though its
resume includes in it a fine list of little annoyances that will
keep me busy for a long time to come.

And thanks Don on the pointer about a leaky cold start fuel hose. I
checked mine yesterday, because I was being "gassed" every morning
with strong fumes. Guess what, two of the clamps were missing! I was
sitting on a time-bomb here -- scarrrrrry. It's not like they fell off,
there are no marks to show that they were ever on. (The hoses had been
dealer replaced by the last owner.) Another wonderful attention to detail
from your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer.

Ahsun
Ahsun H. Murad (murad@domain.elided)