[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

$ for rebuilding 02 head

My 76 2002 with 138k is smoking a little so I decided it might be time to
redo the head (I'm assuming the valve guides are done (and hoping it is
not the rings)).  Anyway since the head has never been touched I figured
it might be good to do it anyway.  However. when I called a guy who
advertises in the local BMWCCA chapter newsletter, he quoted me a price of
$500 to rebuild the head.  This is for a stock rebuild where I take it off
and bring it to him.  While I trust the guy would do a good job the price
seems kind of high.

Can some one tell me if this is a reasonable estimate.  The car is a
summer (mostly) driver that is not going to see a race track.  Also, might
someone know a reliable but reasonable automotive machine shop in the Long
Island New York area that could do the job?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jay Tanski 76 2002