[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

6 series Instr Cluster Removal

> From: michael.k.fabian.2@domain.elided (mike fabian)
> Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 12:15:16 -0600
> Subject: 6 series Instr Cluster Removal
>
> I'm trying to replace the batteries for the service indicator on a 1984
> M635CSi. I've read the FAQ but am having trouble removing the cluster. I
> found the two screws under the right 4" by 1" trim piece and also the two
> screws under the left self-test panel. I can get the cluster to pull
> forward about two inches but that's it. The headlight switch and the fog
> light switch are also coming forward so it sounds different than the other
> models. Note, I do have the steering column pulled all the way to the rear.
> Is there a trick or is this a brute force maneuver. I prefer the first to
> the second.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Mike Fabian
> michael.k.fabian.2@domain.elided

Mike,
In order to get the cluster out of the car you have to lower the steering
column on the 6 series. There are 2 10mm bolts accessable from below.
You don't need to worry about the steering box, since there is a rubber
guibo (sp?) in the column which provides enough flexibility. As for
the light switches. The main (left) switch has to come out with the cluster.
The fog light switch can be dismounted from the cluster by first unscrewing
the know, block the spindel from turning with a pin (hole is provided in
spindel) and then undo the nut with a fork wrench. Once you opened up the
cluster be careful about the glue holding the old batteries in. I had a
hard time getting the old ones out.

- - Hans

'84 635CSi Euro

 Hans-Joachim Tannenberger               //  PHONE: (503) 578-3781
 Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.         //   FAX:   (503) 578-7569
                                       //    Mail-Stop RHE2-725
 UUNET:       uunet!sequent!hans      //     15450 SW Koll Parkway
 INTERNET:    hans@domain.elided       //      Beaverton, OR 97006-6063