[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3.0CS

>I'm going to look at a '73 3.0CS this weekend.  It has 30k on a rebuilt
>engine (not done by a professional), a 5 speed transmission (also 30k), no
>tears in the leather, 3 45DCOE Webers and a 300 degree cam.  Unfortunately
>it has some rust, at least one patch of which is on the rear fender (which
>scares me b/c it's tougher to replace).  The owner wants $7,800 and says
>he's flexible on price.  Quick questions:

>1)  What does the price seem like assuming the rust is not that serious?

The price sounds pretty reasonable if the only rust is on the rear quarter
panel.

>2)  I have heard coupes are much worse than 2002s in terms of rust.  Is
>this so?

The rumor is that Karmann (who builds the coupe body) invented RUST
technology and then licensed it to the Italians.  The rust locations are
similar to the 2002 but harder to repair.

>2a) If so what are the bad areas in terms of rust developing and the
>toughest areas to repair?

There are no inner fender liners on a coupe.  The salty sand sits in wells
between the fender wells and the firewall.  Open the glove compartment and
look at the firewall you may see rust and perforations.  Open the under dash
compartment on the left and look above the fuse box.  Look for bubbles on the
top of the fenders adjacent to the hood. Look under the carpet in front.
CAREFULLY check out the rear shock towers! If you have the time remove the
decorative rocker covers and look for perforations.

It is all tough and expensive to repair because everything is welded
together.

3)  I had a Bavaria for a few years, and it's starter switch failed about
five times (forcing me to hot wire the car to get it going).  Other than
that the Bavaria was actually quite reliable and very fast.  Am I likely to
have similar (or other recurring) problems with a 3.0 or 2800CS?

Skip the 2800CS because it has drum brakes on the back.  The only reliability
problem that I know of is the sheet metal.  Sticky electric windows?

Is this a USA or Euro CS?

Michael Thompson     E-Mail     m_thompson@domain.elided
Schroff, Inc.        Phone      401-732-3770
Warwick, RI 02886    FAX        401-739-7799