[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

>Subject: brake sensor light
 On: Sat, 5 Nov 1994 Barry Wellman wrote:

>The brake sensor light went on today while my wife was merrily driving
>along the expressway. She hadn't used her brakes for many
>minutes/miles, & hadn't used them much all day. The light stayed on
>for a while, then went off for a while, then went on again. It's been
>raining all day.
>BMW Roadside Assist told her, when called, to drive slowly & see what
>happens. WHich is what she did. No indication, other than the light,
>of a brake problem.
>Watsup?

 Barry:

  I have the same problem with my '88 M3. The light goes on and off
at will, and the pads are fine. I haven't diagnosed the problem yet, but
I've narrowed it down to the instrument cluster (swapped with another
car and problem went away.) Likely candidates are poor connections,
cold solder joints, and as per Jim Conforti, a possible bad transistor
in that circuit. Since mine is a track car, I won't get around to it
until sometime this winter, if at all - I check by brakes a lot!
If you find out what causes it, please post it for the rest of us,
'cause enquiring minds want to know !

Ron Checca
'90 M3 Street
'88 M3 Track
'87 325es Road

P.S. Call Programma (number in the ROUNDEL) if you don't want to fix it
     yourself. They may be able to repair your cluster on a next day
     basis. Ask them if this is a common problem too and let us know.