[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #33

Hi,
There was a post requsting instructions on how to adjust the steering box
on a 2002.  I would appreciate receiving that information too.  My 76 2002
has some play in the steering that is more of an annoyance rather than a
real problem but it would a whole lot more fun to drive if it was a little
tighter.  The only thing I've seen in the Haynes or Chiltons (crap)
mentions something about hooking up a friction guage (whatever that is) on
the steering wheel while adjusting the box.  Is this absolutely necessary?
 Isn't there a hack mechanic method that is easier (but still safe)?

Also to the person who asked about a clicking sound in their steering,
there was an tech tip in an old Roundel that described a cure for the same
type of symptom that involved loosening the bolts on the flexible coupling
between the steering shaft to the box and pressing down on the shaft to
get the spline to seat better. I don't have the article with me here but
if necessary I could dig it up and relay particulars.  Let me know.

I still don't know how to use the digest, but we appreciate your efforts
Richard.

Jay Tanski 76 2002