[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #30

% From: PBOLMIDA@domain.elided Date: 02 Nov 94
% 08:22:21 EST Subject: M3
%

% Heres the problem. My wife is having a baby (2nd) and I need
% to sell my 2 seat car ('90 Miata) and buy a 4 seat car. We
% currently have a 91 318 is  (the other car). I am seriously
% considering a 88-91 M3. So what can I expect? How does this
% compare to the 318is? How different is the driving
% experience? What problems do these cars have (ie. what to
% look for in used 20-40K mile      maintenance headaches can I
% expect? Are the valves hydraulic? What were the options -

I've had mine for a year and haven't run across any real problems.
Look out for the intake blacks and make sure they have been replaced
or *WILL* be replaced before you buy.  My car hadn't had them replaced
and 2 months after I had the car they went south and so did $450 of
my money.

The valves are adjusted by using shims.

% ie. sun roof, air, trip computer? typical maintenance

The options were which color red, white, black, or silver.
Watch out for white w/black interior they used a lot of those
at driver schools.

% expenses? how much should I be willing to pay for a  near

I spent about $750 in the last year to service and maintain
the car.

% perfect example? Best sources to find one (Roundel). I am

Not sure.  I paid $16.5K for my '88 in near perfect condition
16 months ago.

% interested in STOCK - no chips- no slicks etc. I enjoy
% fast, well balanced cars - ride quality, noise, luxo

It's pretty fast, well balanced, not much noise, and a
pretty good level of luxury.

% stuff is not interesting to me. Is this the right car?

It might be.

%

% thanks for any input,
%

% Peter  pbolmida@domain.elided
%

%  ------------------------------
%

% From: vidayc@domain.elided Date: Wed, 02 Nov 94
% 09:15:11 -0500 Subject: Questions on E30-M3
%

% Hello;
%

% I have been experiencing a couple of minor disagreements
% on my  1988 E30-M3, since I owned it:

%

% 1-When the engine is cold, it will produce a lot of
% mechanic noises   when you crank it-up. Noises will
% rapidly decrease and disappear as soon      as the engine
% warms up and the oil is circulated. (I use synthetic FSX).

I heard that this happens with synthetics.   The

hydrolic tensioner loses oil and the chain rattles until
pressure builds up.  For some reason this happens mostly with
synthetics.

%

%    I know that the M3 is a noisy machine, and I ma not worried
% too much about     it, as it will run as smooth as velvet a
% couple of minutes later. I was just    wondering if anybody
% experienced the same thing. A friend of mine with an     88 M3
% has the same phenomenom occuring, too.

Mine, once every week or so.

%

% 2-The heater is very weak (not good with the coming
% winter...) and I need to     turn the knob fully open to get
% some warm hair. I had a 323i before and I was    used to a much
% more efficient heating system. Maybe my system is a
% little bit    clogged and need to be flushed (I change the
% anti-freeze, quite often).

Sounds like it needs flushing.  My '88 M3 will cook you if you
have the heater on.

%

% 3-When the car is cold, I experience some shimmy when
% breaking strongly. I     suspect the tires (BF Goodrich ZR),
% although the wheels are properly     balanced. This problem
% will fade away as soon as the tires are getting     warmer.
% THose tires seem to be out of balance when cold. A friend,
% who has    the same set of tires also experience the problem.
% It is really a pity as     the grip and confort of these tires
% are wonderful.

I'm running 225-45/ZR16s on 16x7.5" rims.  No shimmy.
The car stops straight as an arrow.

%

% Any information, suggestions or comments would be
% welcome.
%

% Thanks. Yves

Anyone seen the new coupe in the Roundel?

Kent--
/* "There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors and   */
/*  no slave that has not had a king among his." ----     Helen Keller */
/*  Kent L. Shephard  ----- K. L. Shephard Consulting                  */