[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V2 #30

From: vidayc@domain.elided
>Subject: Questions on E30-M3
>
>Hello;
>
>I have been experiencing a couple of minor disagreements on my
>1988 E30-M3, since I owned it:
>
>1-When the engine is cold, it will produce a lot of mechanic noises
>  when you crank it-up. Noises will rapidly decrease and disappear as soon
>  as the engine warms up and the oil is circulated. (I use synthetic FSX).
>
>   I know that the M3 is a noisy machine, and I ma not worried too much about
>   it, as it will run as smooth as velvet a couple of minutes later. I was just
>   wondering if anybody experienced the same thing. A friend of mine with an
>   88 M3 has the same phenomenom occuring, too.

I think that's normal.  My 89 M3 is a slightly noisy at startup, but it's
normal (IMO).  I have a friend at work with an 88 M3 and it does the same
thing.

>2-The heater is very weak (not good with the coming winter...) and I need to
>   turn the knob fully open to get some warm hair. I had a 323i before and I was
>   used to a much more efficient heating system. Maybe my system is a little bit
>   clogged and need to be flushed (I change the anti-freeze, quite often).

The M3 has a great cooling system! Try pushing the car a bit like it was built
to and you'll get some hot air :).  Seriously, I don't think you need to flush
your system.

>3-When the car is cold, I experience some shimmy when breaking strongly. I
>   suspect the tires (BF Goodrich ZR), although the wheels are properly
>   balanced. This problem will fade away as soon as the tires are getting
>   warmer. THose tires seem to be out of balance when cold. A friend, who has
>   the same set of tires also experience the problem. It is really a pity as
>   the grip and confort of these tires are wonderful.

M3's are know for their warped rotors.  If it's just a slight bit of shimmy, I
would ignore it (I know many may disagree with me here).

Gary