[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electronic ignitions(again)

     I've found a potential alternative to the Allison setup for less than
     half the cost of the Allison and wanted to know if anyone out there
     has any experience or insights into relative strengths and weaknesses.

     The alternative is made by Pertronix(sp?) and utilizes a magnetic
     pickup vs the Allison's optical pickup.  Purported advantage:  no
     sensitivity to dirt.  Disadvantages: ??

     Also, the entire unit fits inside the distributor cap, replaces the
     points and condensor (like Allison) and costs $49+S&H from Berret
     Enterprises (818-967-5171)(posting only for completeness, have no
     connections with these guys).  The Allison costs ~$120 and has an
     external "brain" box (or so I'm told).

     My main concern is reliability of a "new" product.  If the Allison is
     *bullet* proof, then I think I'd rather spend the extra $$ and get the
     reliability.  So, just how sensitive to dirt (in a normally sealed
     distributor cap) are the Allison units?

     Thanks again,

     Mike
     mikeh@domain.elided