[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2000tilux

> the tilux was a variation on the four door sedans that preceded and ran
> concurrently with the '02 series.  The are quite upright, seated five
> people easily and significantly rarer than the '02s.  They started with the
> 1500, continued with the 1600 (not 1600-2), 1800 and then 2000.  The 2
> litre variant had a slightly modified body with much wider tail lights.

The line started with the 1500, then the 1800/1800TI were added.  Later,
the 1600 replaced the 1500, I believe.  When the 2000 came out, the trim
and fittings were "upgraded", with the wider taillights, new dashboard,
quad round or euro headlights, etc.

> On many of these models there were performance/luxury variants.  The
> 1600ti, 1800ti and 2000ti came with dual side draught Solex carbs in a set
> up that later found its way into the 2002ti and 1600ti (2 door version).

I don't think there was a 1600TI 4-door sedan, but I'm not positive on that.
It's interesting to note, that to keep costs down, when the 2000TI first
came out, it used the older body/trim style of the 1500/1800 but with the
2 liter engine, not the newer style of the plain 2000 sedan.  I'm still
annoyed at myself for not doing anything about the pretty nice 2000TI sedan
that was sitting in the local junkyard last year.......

The 2000tilux is basically TI-luxury.  Meaning that it was the plain 2000
sedan body/trim, but with the 2000TI motor.

> The most interesting, rare and valuable variant of all was the 1800tisa
> which had dual 45DCOE (I think, maybe 40DCOE) Webers and all sorts of
> racing set ups (seats, 5 speed CR transmission, etc...).  Only 200+ were
> made for racing certification, and this was really the predecessor to the
> M3 (but much rarer--even in its prime).

The TISA had 45DCOE's, a special cam, really high compression, etc., good
for 130HP.  The November issue of BMW Car magazine has a pretty nice article
on the 1800TISA being raced by Dieter Quester and some other guy in the
vintage european touring car championships or whatever.

Hope this is useful,
Ben