[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Check Engine is lit

On Mon, 24 Oct 1994, Joseph Nguyen wrote:

> Yesterday, the "Check Engine" warning light in my '92 325i lit up while I was
> on the free way.  I checked the manual. But it was of little help since it
> only said something was wrong with the emission control and to bring it in to
> the dealer.  Is this a normal-wear defect for a 2 year old car with 26K miles?
> The only different thing that I did was using Citgo Super Premium Unleaded
> (93 Octane, Pure gas).  I normally use Shell or Mobil Supre Premium gas.
>
> Any comments before I bring this car in?

  Yes, your car is equipped with Motronic DME, Version M3.1 ...

  Turn the car off .. turn key to the ON position but dont start ..

  Now QUICKLY hit the accellerator to the floor 5 times and wait ..

  The Check engine lite will flash out a code like 1221 or 1444 ..

  Record the codes it flashes and send 'em to me .. I have the "chart"
  that'll tell you what the DME thinks is the problem ..

  BTW this works on ALL BMW's (in the US) from late 1988 MY on up..

  That is .. DME Versions 1.3, 1.2, 1.7, 3.1, 3.3, 3.3.1

  On 3.3 and 3.3.1 you only a second or so to start whacking the gas pedal
  after you turn the key ..

   Jim Conforti

   94  325i  Mac
   95  //M3  LNDSHRK