[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need tire advice for a '91 525i

On Oct 23,  3:05pm, Tom Davidson wrote:
> Subject: Need tire advice for a '91 525i
> Apologies if this has been asked before. I have a '91 525i whose tires
> need replacing. Ah, I said, let's see what trouble I can get into
> for little $$. The owners manual shows 205/65/15 (that's what came with
> the car) and 225/60/15. Naturally, I'd like the lower profile and am not
> willing to go the +1, +2 route (got to wait for the upcoming 545i).

What the heck, go with the 225/60s... these will make the car look more and
handle more aggressively, but will be slightly more prone to hydroplaning than
205s; however, the performance in the wet can be more than offset if you get a
tire that gives a good mix of wet/dry performance.

 Seems
> my reasonablly priced choices are Goodrich (Comp HR's), Pirelli (P500, P600,
> P6).  As I live in central Texas, snow is not a problem. Torrential rain...
> sometimes. So gentle readers-

The P600 or a similar tire like the Yokohama A509, is a good, all around tire,
and way better than ANYTHING manufactured by or for Goodrich. However, you may
want to scrape up a few extra $$ and get a better tire. If you mail order, you
can have access to any tire you want, and at a price that is substantially less
then anything you can find locally. I have had very good luck with the Tire
Rack.  If you want a higher level of performance, you will need to move up to a
tire like a Goodyear GS-C, Bridgestone RE-71 or Yokohama AVS-i (the Yokos wear
rather quickly....). I have had personal experience with the Bridgestones and
the Yokos, and both work well in the rain.

- --
Chris Blumenthal
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Corporate Legal Services