[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY Oil Changes...

I realize this is common sense for most people but since I've just finished
mopping up three quarts of oil that should have otherwise stayed in the car
where it belonged, I thought I'd remind everyone who changes their own oil
to ALWAYS check the old oil filter to make sure the rubber O-ring came off
with it ... this morning, for some reason I didn't, and when I started the
car -- yep, you guessed it -- oil sprayed everywhere!

In the old days, I used to ground the coil wire to the distributor and turn
the engine over on the starter to check for any leaks but I've learned from
experience that this tends to blow ignition amplifiers (at $90+ per) so now
I cross my fingers and run it for 15 seconds or so before turning it off to
check for leaks ... needless to say, I'll shorten that to 5 seconds for the
next oil change or two!  BTW, it was a Fram filter...

              [ E-Mail: AudiDudi@domain.elided  |||  BTCC in 1995! ]

P.S.: While at Home Depot to pick up some oil absorber, I saw perhaps one of
the oddest things to ever grace a parking lot: A low-rider Range Rover!  The
thing must have been dropped at least 6" but otherwise looked totally stock.
In my book, this tops even the 4x4 Cadillac hearse I saw a few weeks ago...