[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Used BMW's - 2002 and 320

When I went BMW shopping earlier this year I was astonished by the price
and quality difference between 320s and 2002s.  Because of their "classic"
2002s carry a ridiculous primium, at least in the DC area.  My range was
in the under $3k category and the difference between say, a $2k 200 and a
(oops, 2002, that is) and a $2k 320 was night and day. $2k would fetch a
decent 320 of roughly 77-81 vintage w/between 120-150k mi., a/c, etc.
Generally a presentable car in useable condition.  A $2k 2002 was usually
a rust-trap with major mechanical problems (like frozen trans!), sketchy
history, and "gee, I dont really know how many" miles.  Why the diff?
Classic status, and cult following, I suppose.  The 320, I have to
admit, does lack some of the performance edge of the earlier 2002s, and
performance upgrades are nearly non-existant, but for a daily driver I
think the tradeoff is slight and acceptable.
Dont get me wrong, the 2002 is a lovely beast - but considering the price
difference (and I was looking in the low end, as prices go up the difference
grows as well) the 320i was a better deal.
	As far as repairs go, I am both financially and mechanically impared.
On my grad student budget, I have found the 320 to be easier on the wallet than
previous Hondas or VWs.  So far my repairs have been typical old-car stuff:
oil leaks, rear bearings, an electrical demon (detailed in another posting), andthe replacement of a previously damaged and poorly repaired radiator.  None
too demanding so far. The rad. was cheapest through Bavarian Auto Parts (@$170)
	Look at both, needless to say, not every 320 is a gem and not all 2002s
are overpriced, but I think you'll find a good cheap 320 easier.
	Good Luck!
	_ Loren _ 1978 320i