[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New: 320i.

On Wed, 19 Oct 1994, James Steele wrote:

> 1.) According to the Chilton's manual, this car is a four-speed, yet
> right now it's a five speed.

'80-'83 320i have a 5-speed standard.  I would recommend getting the
Haynes Shop Manual.  The Chilton's is poor.

> 2.) The Electrical system is FUCKED!  The headlights are wired
> ass-backwards, the outer beams light fine, when you switch to high-beams,
> the inner-most driver's light, and the outer-side passanger light work.
> Nifty, eh?

No, this very simply tells you that probably the high beam fuses are
corroded and not making contact.  You'll find that all the exterior lamps
are wired like that (right parking lamp-left tail lamp together etc.) Look
at the wiring diagram.  Personally I think this is a neat way of wiring
because it makes trouble shooting slightly easier.

> 3.) The Emergency Flashers were disabled, to provide some kind of
> conduit to run the turn signals.  I don't even want to think what kind of
> Voodoo was there.  This car has more Voodoo that a Witch Doctor on Halloween.

Sounds like you will soon be learning a lot about the wiring diagram:)

> 4.) The Body has various rattles and rolls, and is in need a either a
> muffler, or exhaust manifold.

First try tightening all the bolts and screws that you can get to.  Second
make sure the doors are fitting snug, the screws on the wedge things are
tight and that the little plastic things are still on the door latch (part
that moves that is attached to the door).

> 5.) Did I mention it's a Standard shift?  Can we say, new clutch in a
> month boys and ghouls?

Or maybe new clutch hydraulics???  I found that the clutchs last a long time.

> Considering the price, of oh...say.  $400US, was it a good deal?

Sounds like a good deal to me if the body is in ok shape (i.e. not ready
to split in half due to rust)

Walt Barie (wgbst4+@domain.elided, barie+@domain.elided)
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh

'79 320i DSP Solo II and Drivers school car
'80 528i

    "You gotta first spin the dice in order to win the game" - esp '95

Of course what I say in no way reflects the views of the University....