[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Water Leak in E30 M3

On Thu, 13 Oct 94 12:43:00 M Zanino wrote:

>I have a 88+ M3 and it has developed a water leak on the front passenge
>floor.  After a steady rain, the carpet becomes soaked with water colleting
>between the floor and fire wall.  It looks like the water is coming in
>through the passenger side kick panel (suspected main source) below the
>speaker and below the heater duct on the passenger side.  After removin the
>kick panel, I found the sunroof drain hose which I blew compressed air
>through but it did not seem to be plugged.  I was able to pour water don
>the sunroof drain and it flowed freely through and out the drain under he
>car.  I did notice that the drain hose seems to just dangle freely behid
>the kick panel and hover over the two drain holes.  Is this normal?

  I have the same problem with my '88 M3 track car.So far I've had the
windshield re-sealed (with flowable silicone) which did not help, and
removed the right front fender, found a small hole in the chasis I was
sure was the culpret and plugged it. It wasn't!. Also cleaned out the
cowl drains which were very plugged up, but that didn't help either!

  My leak does not appear to be coming in around the speaker. It seems
to be around the lower windshield/right fender/windshield pillar area.
Any help is appreciated !!!

  Since this is a track car, I removed the carpet to save weight. When I
did, I found about a quart of water sloshing around, and the foam on the
back of the carpet was drenched! No serious rust though. I think the
catylic converter heats that area of the floor up pretty well and helped
dry it out!

Ron Checca
'90 M3 Street
'88 M3 Track