[bmw] Oil in spark plug cylinders

Hello All,

Over the weekend I decided to swap out plugs in a pair of E36 318's and found engine oil in the spark plug cylinders (above, not in, the combustion chamber). It was heaviest in cylinder 2 and 3 on one car, 1 and 2 in the other. One car was a low miles '93 with 52k miles, the other a '94 with 152k.

I'm assuming this is just indicative of the need for a valve cover gasket and cylinder o-ring change...but can anyone tell me if there's anything else to watch out for, eg why this happened, if it indicates any other problem, and whether it may have caused any other damage?

Regards,
Drew