Re: [bmw] Oil in spark plug cylinders

"Drew Mouton" <drew@domain.elided> wrote:

> Over the weekend I decided to swap out plugs in a pair of E36 318's
> and found engine oil in the spark plug cylinders (above, not in, the
> combustion chamber). It was heaviest in cylinder 2 and 3 on one car,
> 1 and 2 in the other. One car was a low miles '93 with 52k miles,
> the other a '94 with 152k.
>
> I'm assuming this is just indicative of the need for a valve cover
> gasket and cylinder o-ring change...

Yep.

> but can anyone tell me if there's anything else to watch out for,

Nope.

> eg why this happened, if it indicates any other problem, and whether
> it may have caused any other damage?

Drew,
The only concern is if you do not change the gasket, the oil build-up might
short circuit the plug/coil. In the absolutely worst case scenario this
could lead to a fried DME.
But I would not worry about all that. Just change the gaskets. The dealer
sells the kit with two inner and one perimeter gasket. Last time I shopped
the whole kit was around $10.

alex f