[bmw] 1986 bmw 535i assessment

my brother in law is about to get out of his 1986 535i, and i'm considering
whether or not it's worth a look.

it's a 5 speed, white, 200,000 miles, body ok. engine and exhaust
are another matter. it's been an upstate ny car for most if not all
of its life.

the exhaust is a conglomeration of parts scarfed from the dumpster
at a cole muffler shop, no cat (can't pass inspection in NY without
a cat, i'd have to buy and install one, $550 from rusty in atlanta.)

the engine is running way rich, it's killing O2 sensors at a high rate,
the current one is defunct. my brother in law doesn't want to spend
the money to diagnose and fix this problem. if it's, for example, an
ecu, rusty wants ~ $500 for a new one. my brother in law doens't
want to spend the money to diagnose the problem, he really wants
out of this car.

he wants $1100 for it. i'm pondering whether or not this is a
fair price; Edmunds shows the car at roughly $2100 in clean
condition, $1100 in average condition.

thanks in advance,
  richard