Re: [bmw] '95 M3 front aero-pan replacement

"Michael Stano" <michaelstano@domain.elided> wrote:
> A run-in with a curb, then a run-in with a piece of tire, have pretty
> well destroyed the plastic parts under the nose of the car.  [...] I
> know this car has chronic, inherent problems with these pieces, and I
> have heard others mention that the attachment can be beefed up or made
> more secure.  Specifically, what have others done?

Mike,
There are two schools of thought on the subject: reinforce the mounting
points in all undertray plastic components, or replace them all with the
JTD undertray.
There are plenty proponents of both methods. I went with the JTD solution
and could not be happier.

> In examining the damage, it appears screw heads have been pulled through
> the plastic parts, so I assume one thing that would help would be to
> reinforce the holes with metal washers or strips of metal.

Exactly.
Do that for each and every mounting point on all the components. Than do
the same with the wheel-well liners where the pork-chops bolt to them. The
other key to keeping the center tray attached is bolting it to the front
apron. You'll have to drill a couple of holes in the lower lip of the
apron, install the u-clips and bolt the undertray to the nose. This will
stabilize the undertray against the wind buffeting from the air stream
entering the engine bay through the mesh grill.
The underlying issue is that all plastic undertray components a). are
connected; b). are the lowest points under the nose of your car; c). are
moved around every time your front apron bumps into a parking curb.
Other than reinforcing the attachment points, you need to abandon the
'parking by braille' or better yet, start backing into the parking spaces.

> Part of the damage was to the lower grill, above the air dam, and
> directly in front of the fan.  My car is an M3L, so this piece has
> horizontal bars, not the mesh screen. [...] I THINK I can glue the
> grill back on the 4 remaining "stubs," but would welcome other ideas
> that might be better.

If the original attachment studs have broken off, you'll need to come up
with an alternative mounting method.
Gluing may held up until the next stone/piece of debris/animal hits it.

HTH,
alex f