[bmw] WARNING: alternator light

Gentlemen
   We all know that there is a problem when the alternator light comes
on as we are driving. The battery will be discharging from that
moment.
   Few owner's know that there's a worse problem if there's no
alternator light upon start-up.
   The alternator is activated by the current flow thru the tell-tale
bulb.  If you do not see an alternator light when you turn the key to
the "RUN" position, or during starter cranking, the alternator will
not come online and your battery will be discharging from the moment
you start.
   ABS cars should get an ABS warning light.
   Some "BMW" alternators will self-excite if spun fast enough, but
mom's 318iA wasn't driven fastly enough to accomplish that so it's
lucky she got home.
   A simple burned-out tell-tale bulb can cause a really big problem
and troublesome repair.

  Dan Patzer the CyberWrench from BIMMERS ONLY Seattle's exclusive BMW
hobby shop
Providing O.E.M. parts, Independent service & Instruction since 1964
  12724  Marine Drive,  Marysville, Wa. 98271  425-259-3601
72' tii touring   K1200LT   85' 732i   R850R
http://www.nwlink.com/~bmrfamly/
BMWCCA TECH SERVICE ADVISOR from upper left corner of map
MEMBER IBMWSP