[bmw] [E34] Defunct temp gauge

The car is a 1989 535i, with 159K miles.  I've owned
it for around two months, and the temperature gauge
has never worked (except as noted below).  On
occasion, the tachometer stops working momentarily,
but quickly comes back to life.  Other gauges seem
fine.  Fuses are okay.

A couple days ago, as I was sitting in traffic for
about half an hour (creeping forward now and then),
the temp needle moved between the half and three-
quarter point, remaining there for a few minutes
while the car was idling.  After the car was moving
(30 mph), the needle dropped back to cold and stayed
there.

Any ideas about what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Henryk Lotyczewski