Re: [bmw] RE: DOT 3 brake fluid

Another logic to consider,

Brake fluid is cheap. Parts in the braking system are not cheap. Boiling your brake fluid and loosing your brakes can also not be cheap depending on what you hit.
If presented with a pedal to the floor and have to choose a car to hit try and avoid any black Mercedes Sedans. I really like my car and dont want a BMW attached to it. :)

Robert Chase

ONeill, William wrote:

I agree with Robert and David. I don't that DOT 3 fluid can't be used with
DOT 4, as long as it's not silicone based. DOT 4 has better wet boiling
point than DOT 3, but if it's fresh and uncontaminated, the performance
should be about the same. In fact, I used to use DOT 3 Ford truck brake
fluid in my E30 M3 because it had a very high dry boiling point, and since I
changed fluid so often, I didn't really care about wet boiling point. The
Ford fluid was about 1/3 the cost of ATE Blau.

Silicone brake fluids, usually rated DOT 5, can cause seals to deteriorate
and leak. Bad. But you were smart enough not to put that in.

So don't sweat it. When you get the chance, suck out the reservoir, replace
with DOT 4, bleed the brakes.

Bill O'Neill

'95 E36 M3 "kompressor"
'90 E34 535i