Re: [bmw] Brake Fluid oops

The main difference is boiling point so basically
you've somewhat lowered the boiling point of the total
fluid in the system.  Shouldn't be any problem unless
you are tracking it and doing heavy braking.  I would
probably just wait till your annual brake fluid flush
... you do flush it regularly right?  The water
absorbed by the system would degrade your performance
more than a little blending of DOT 3/4 if its been
more than 1.5-2 years since a flush.  Oh, UNLESS your
DOT 4 fluid was the silicon based type, then the DOT 3
fluid is a different type and I would be flushing it
out right away.

--- Gerry Phillips <gphill03@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I messed up and I need to know how badly.  I checked
> my brake fluid
> reservoir on my '89 535i this past weekend and it
> was low.   I've topped
> off my brake fluid in the past and I know my car
> calls for Dot 4, but for
> some reason I picked up Dot 3 and topped it off with
> that.  I guess I was
> too busy thinking about spending a nice Valentine's
> evening with my
> fiancee.  I realized it after I had already done it.
>  My questions are:
> Will Dot 3 hurt anything?  Should I have the system
> drained and refilled?
> And what are the differences between Dot 3 and Dot
> 4?
> Thanks in  advance.
>

> Gerry A. Phillips
> BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
> 89 535i
> 87 325is
> --
> to be removed from bmw, see
> /bin/digest-subs.cgi

=====
David Morrison
Austin TX
85 4Runner Crawler, Lifted ... not on jackstands ;^)