Re: [bmw] Brake Fluid oops

Hmmmm,

Dot 4 fluid has a different boiling point and water absorbing qualities. I think its rather similar to Dot 3 otherwise. If it were one of my cars I would be making an appointment with my mechanic to have the brake fluid changed. I heard of someone putting the wrong kind of fluid on one of my other lists (they put some other kind of fluid [power steering, transmission or something otherwise bizzarre] in the master cylender) and it eventually deteriorated his seals in the brakes. Eventually it required the replacment and major cleaning of lots of components in the system. I am a "fluid" nazi with my Mercedes and even use the special Mercedes fluid in the radiator to keep from deteriorating the plastic in the Behr radiator (my radiator is original and over 22 years old with no problems at all). German cars in general are engineered rather tightly and there is less fudge factor than in any other type of vehicles.
I dont think the lower grade of brake fluid will do damage but I would not reccomend leaving it in the car for more than the time it takes you to make an appointment to have it replaced.

Robert Chase

Gerry Phillips wrote:

Hello All,

I messed up and I need to know how badly. I checked my brake fluid reservoir on my '89 535i this past weekend and it was low. I've topped off my brake fluid in the past and I know my car calls for Dot 4, but for some reason I picked up Dot 3 and topped it off with that. I guess I was too busy thinking about spending a nice Valentine's evening with my fiancee. I realized it after I had already done it. My questions are: Will Dot 3 hurt anything? Should I have the system drained and refilled? And what are the differences between Dot 3 and Dot 4? Thanks in advance.

Gerry A. Phillips BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
89 535i
87 325is