[bmw] Brake Fluid oops

Hello All,

I messed up and I need to know how badly.  I checked my brake fluid
reservoir on my '89 535i this past weekend and it was low.   I've topped
off my brake fluid in the past and I know my car calls for Dot 4, but for
some reason I picked up Dot 3 and topped it off with that.  I guess I was
too busy thinking about spending a nice Valentine's evening with my
fiancee.  I realized it after I had already done it.  My questions are:
Will Dot 3 hurt anything?  Should I have the system drained and refilled?
And what are the differences between Dot 3 and Dot 4?
Thanks in  advance.

Gerry A. Phillips
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
89 535i