Re: [bmw] E28 Dash Gauge Failure

Miguel: usually a battery failure manifests itself by the service interval
lights coming on and being unable to reset them.  If that's what you mean by
the dashboard failure, then that's probably what it is.  However, if the
failure is more significant - for example, several gauges not working,
perhaps the turn signal indicators not working right - then I would suspect
that you may have one or more faulty traces on the printed circuit boards.
It is not uncommon for the printed circuit boards to develop small cracks in
the traces over time.  I had this happen on my '86 528e - I solved the
problem by carefully inspecting and repairing a few traces on the boards.
This is not too difficult a task, as long as you're reasonably comfortable
using an ohm-meter and a soldering iron.  See the Bentley manual for
instructions on how to remove the dash board (one word of advice - you do not
need to remove the steering wheel as described in the manual).  You should
also check the ground connection for the dash electronics - a bad ground
connection can make several things go hay wire all at once.  Good luck.

-Chip