re [bmw] 2002 X5 3.0i "Service Engine Soon"

On the issue with the light coming on.  The exact same thing just
happened (two weeks ago) to my wife's 2002 X5 3.0.  We turned on the car
one morning and the light came on, the engine idled rough.  We turned
around and went home.  I started the car a few hours later to take it to
the dealer and the light was gone and the engine idled fine and had all
of it's power back.  The code read from the computer was a misfire on
the number 1 cylinder.  It seems as if the computer just shut down that
cylinder after the one problem while the car was running.  The dealer
could not duplicate the problem, and installed a new spark plug.
Warranty item, but not a very impressive diagnosis.  It took them 3
hours to perform the service.

Cheers,
Tristan