[bmw] re: 325e idle problems

Tom asks
>I recently joined the list after purchasing my first BMW.  It's a 1987 325e
>that I picked up at a local auction for a project car.

>It's got 135k miles and runs well, however, it wants to idle at about 1,100
>rpm.  I'm very mechanical with muscle cars, but am not familiar with
>European engineering.

>I see there is an "idle control module" and "valve" that could be causing
>the problem (?).  I was also thinking maybe the oxygen sensor might be bad
>(?).  I was hoping to narrow it down before I start buying parts.

Tom,

congrat's on the car, they are great fun and not too complicated to work on
(a little different than american stuff, but pretty straightforward)

there is tons of info on the web, you might check out the following website

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30.html or specifically
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/idle.html

it is very likely the idle control that's messed up, the link should give
you lots to play with

if the o2 sensor dies, the car generally runs just fine (the computer takes
over and uses 'best guess' for timing and fuel, which works ok and you might
not even notice a difference.. the mileage may drop a bit (it's running
richer than normal to be safe)). A trouble code will also show up if this
happens (check engine light).

check out the site for more details, if your o2 sensor does die you can
usually use a generic bosch one from a mustang for cheaper than the 'bwm'
part..

buy a Bentley manual for it (E30 Repair Manual), and remember to change the
TIMING belt!!! at 50k mile intervals.. if that puppy breaks, it'll take out
the engine..

Other than that have fun with the car.. check the web before buying parts!
especially for electrical stuff (the one 'weak point' in BMWs)

BTW, my '89 325i has 350k km (220 k miles) and still going very strong..
original clutch.. no engine work (except for timing belt and water pump
changes).. they are built to last!

hope this helps

chris
-
Chris Pawlowicz                                        CP Consulting
Phone: 613-294-3089                               Fax:      613-237-6671
Email:   chrisp@domain.elided       Web: http://cpcperformance.com
*************Featuring Stebro stainless steel exhaust systems - now for E46
M3