[bmw] 750iL smog test

Rick,

Although my '92 325i is only a baby at 115K, it'd failed the NJ
emissions test first time, but I got through without any serious
changes.  I'll tell you what I did, but also say that it still might be
the cats (and I do believe that new O2 sensors are called for when
replacing them if that's what you end up doing.

First advice I got from a shop that only works on bimmers is to make
sure the cat is really hot when going for the test.  He said 'fry it,'
meaning run it on the highway at high revs (I won't say my speed, but I
kept it in third for at least a half hour)--then get it inspected before
it cools down.  In NJ, the state run inspection station almost always
has a line and this is where I failed the first time.  Rather than buy a
new cat, I just made an appointment at a local garage where I knew
there'd be no wait after my run--it passed.  Although we may not be
tighter than CA, wouldn't surprise me if we are.

Another tip I got was to fill the car before the test with lower
octane--I'd done that also to pass, although I'll tell you that
afterwards someone told me that that wouldn't make a difference for the
emissions test, and of course, that's probably not good for the engine,
but one tank (actually, I'd just put in a few gallons in an almost empty
tank) couldn't hurt too much I wouldn't think.

I've also seen additives for passing emissions tests--haven't tried
them, but have seen them.

For me, paying for the local inspection rather than waiting in the free
long line was worth the $30.  Good luck with this--suppose the worst is
a new cat and O2 sensors--haven't done this, but know it'd be a
reasonable DIY job if you want to save the couple hundred dollars in
labor it'd probably cost.

HTH,

Doug