Re: [bmw] OT: Ontairio Insurance Question re; Vandalism

Ron,

If the dent is not too horrible the paintless dent removal systems work rather well. Especially on an asian car with thin metal. At $19.95 a Ding King or a Pops a Dent might be cheaper than the ding you would get on your insurance. Tiburon's tend to have a lack of "hard angles" as well that would be to your advantage using a system like that. My 1982 Mercedes Benz 300SD got a dent in the passengers side door and I was able to remove most of it within an hour. That of course is with its thick metal and hard teutonic angles.
If popping the dent is not an option you could get estimates and pay for it yourself. Might be cheaper in the long run factoring in the deductable and possible increase in coverage amount.

Robert Chase

Ron J wrote:

Hi All,

This is a bit off topic but my girlfriend is a bit upset..  I went out to
walk the dog, and when I came back towards the house, I noticed her car
(2003 Tiburon) had a pretty big oval dent (about 10 inches in diameter) in
the rear quarter panel on the passenger side.  It is high up enough on the
panel almost near the hatch.  and it doesnt look like a car hit it since the
dent is too high up, and would be in a very unlikely spot based on where the
car was parked, and it looks more like it was kicked or punched, or someone
ran into it with thier body.   This is really recent, since I took her car
to the grocery store at about 7pm and there was no dent when I came back and
parked it.  The car was parked on the street, with the drivers side against
the curb.  (one way street) So it happened between the time it was parked
and when I noticed it.

She is really worried about her insurance going up, and isnt sure if she
should put in a claim.  Since the event happened while the car was parked,
and there is no other driver involved or a moving violation, I am wondering
how the insurance company treats these issues.

She also had a big argument with the insurance company over the summer
months, because of a missed payment that was the fault of the banks, where
they cancelled her policy and it took a letter writing campaign to the
corporate offices (president) get her policy reinstated, and have them admit
that they cancelled it without just cause.  She is really concerned that
they may cancel the policy after this claim.   (only 1 accident before this.
other drivers fault)

Any suggestions?  Insurance companies here in Ontario Canada are attracting
a lot of negative attention due to thier tactics lately, cancelling policies
and jacking up rates arbitrarily..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ron Janjua
03 MB C320 Coupe 6sp Brilliant Silver
85 535i (sold)

"To put it in simple terms, politics defines what people want;
government decides what they get.  For democracy to work,
government must respond to politics (Shogan, 1982)