[bmw] [E28] Idle Surge problem

Hello,
Ive got an '85 528e and it recently developed a surge at idle, reaching from
approximately 1100 to 1600 rpm (when cold). It also surges when warm but I
do not recall the RPM range off the top of my head.
I checked for vacuum leaks to no avail. I found an article that described a
similar problem, due to a faulty idle control unit. His symtoms sounded very
similar (Idle control solenoid stuck wide open, engine winds up, fuel is
cut, engine falls back, rinse, repeat)
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/idle.html

What I am wanting to know is, is this a common problem for these early EFI
BMW? Has anyone else has this experiance ?

Thanks a lot.
________
Ian Moore
'85 Camaro SD TPI