[bmw] E36 Radio: Need more accurate output

My 328iC has low volume which causes me to crank the volume knob way up when
using a book on CD. I now know that part of this reason is that the amp that
powers the AM/FM does not power the CD player (real clever design). At these
higher setting I can hear the speakers really distort as I need to crank the
volume up as it is a convertible after all. So do I put money into replacing
the speakers or is there a solution to putting an amp on the output side of
the CD player? I know the whole system is bass limited but I don't have a
strong need for a great deal of bass. Any help appreciated. If you have a
suggestion as to speaker types and or an amp that will work given how BMW
designed this system, I would appreciate it.
Brad Purvis
97 328iC
97 M-3