Re: [bmw] Winter tires and wheels

"Sondergard, Michael L." <michael-sondergard@domain.elided>

> ...2000 528i...
>
> ...I have the standard (non sport) 225/55 16 inch Michelins on
> the car now. The Blizzaks are 215/60 16. Will these really fit?

The spec diameter of the 225/55/16 is just under 26".  The spec
diameter of the 215/60/16 is about a half inch larger, which works
out to a couple of percent.  It also happens to be about the same
difference you'll see comparing brand new tires to bald ones.

While 205/60/16 would have been a closer match in diameter, you
should have no problems at all.  Bolt 'em up and enjoy the
superior snow and ice performance you'll get from them.  Just
be prepared for the much softer sidewalls and tread -- there
will be a lot more compliance than you are used to.  It will
get noticeably better after the first couple of hundred miles,
as you wear off the mold release and all those little whiskers,
but they'll never corner like your summer tires.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner
'92 535iM with brand new Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q winter tires
(205/65/15) -- No problems at all in the recent Nor'easter in
NH aside from all those other slow cars without good tires!