[bmw] zf 3hp 22 auto transmission

I have a 1978 E3 (Bavarian) with a zf 3hp 22 auto transmission, that has
reverse gear only, no forward locomotion.

There was a dark graphite substance mixed with the auto fluid, in the bottom
of the pan  when I removed it. I was told the vehicle did have forward gears
the last time it was driven, ( approximately 3 months ago).

Of course the workshop manual doesn't tell me how to adjust the bands, only
take it to a BMW workshop.

Thanks