[bmw] E28 Heater Core ??

Well I've been dealing with a foggy windshield for the last several
years in my '85 535i. This morning the situation got a little worse
when steam began emerging from the defogging (humph) vents.

Checking through several FAQs I have not found any information
on digging through an E28 console to get at the heater core. Does
anybody have a description of this process?

Most of the steam seems to be coming up on the passenger side.
Does anyone know what I'm going to find when this is opened up?
Is it most likely that the heater core needs to be replaced or could
it just be an interior hose?

Don McMahon, Okemos, MI
'85 535i, '86 535i, '75 3.0Si
(I need a new car)