[bmw] Torque wrench

Gerry asks
>I know that once the torque wrench is set
>correctly, you can't over tighten the lug nuts, thus making them
>unnecessarily hard to get off.  Am I correct on this?  Any other benefits?

2 kinds of torque wrenches.. the cheapo ones come with a little indicator
that points on a scale showing the torque (as the main shaft bends slightly)
or the better/easier/nicer ones which cost ~$60 which are the 'click' type

with the click type, you dial in a setting (like ~85 ft-lb for most bmw
wheels) then tighten like any other ratchet type wrench until it gives way a
little more when tightening and 'clicks' (they use a spring / ball/socket
arrangement)

a reasonable name brand click type torque wrench (sears craftsman come to
mind as easy to get) is a great thing to have and use whenever you are
putting wheels on and definitely mean your bolts are not overtightened or
loose again

you are supposed to get the wrench recalibrated every couple of years
(manufacturer usually suggests a place to get it done)

yes, get one, they are quick easy and accurate and very useful

remember to turn them down to 0 when not in use (takes pressure off the
spring and helps keep the wrench accurate) and don't use them to loosen the
bolts (use a breaker bar/ ratchet to do that)

Chris Pawlowicz
Stebro Stainless Performance Exhaust
http://cpcperformance.com