[bmw] Using chains on E36 328i sport tires?

My wife and I just bought a 97 328i with sport package, including 225/50-16
Z rated tires, which the owner's manual says are not suitable for use with
snow chains.  Is that true?  Can you use some alternative, like cables?  Or
do you have to have a spare set of 15" wheels and tires around for snow use?
This is in Northern California, where contact with snow is limited to
intentional mountain trips, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Is there an E36 digest?

Andrew Watry