RE: [bmw] <E-36> Gas smell

I had this problem with my '88 Porsche 924S.  I traced it to the
charcoal canister under the driver side fender well.  Not the easiest
thing to get to.  There was a hose going into it where unburned fuel
vapors were supposed to go into the canister to be absorbed by the
charcoal.  I assume it was either clogged or there was a crack in the
hose somewhere.  I just clamped off the hose and it was fine after that.
I don't know if it could be similar problem as yours, but I thought I'd
let you know in case you can look for it.

Ed

<snip>