[bmw] <E-36> Gas smell

My 93 325is, AKA Stinky, has recently developed a flatulence problem.
We don't like to discuss it outside of the family, but Stinky is really
putting off some serious gas and becoming a nuisance and potential
hazard.   The problem occurs even when the fuel tank is only partially
full.  There is no gas smell in the interior, but after the car is shut
off, the smell is very noticeable, especially in an enclosed garage.  I
tried to sniff out this problem under the hood and in the trunk, but
can't isolate the source.  Have any of you had similar problems (with
your cars, not personally)?  Any suggestions, other than don't light up?

Ron Sanders
RSanders@domain.elided

93 325is "Stinky"
92 525i "Mighty Whitey"